Thursday, January 5, 2012









One of the best friends I've ever had passed away yesterday. 

As far as we can tell, he went peacefully. He was getting close to thirty years old, and he had had problems chewing normal food for a year or two. A few days ago when I went to go feed him in the morning, he was laying down and wouldn't get up or eat much at all (which was very out of character for him), but after a few hours he recovered quite a bit and stayed fairly well for about a day. When I went to feed him day before yesterday, he was walking extremely slow with his head down. He just wasn't himself. That night, I let him out of the corral and he walked across the bridge toward the treees and fields. Yesterday morning I found him laying in the willows, and he was already gone.  

We buried him on the rise of a hill close to where he died in a place where the morning light hits beautifully. We had a small service for him there with a few of the people who knew and loved him best, and when we left, we left a candle burning through the night. Now he'll rest in the place that he spent most of his life; a place that he loved. 

He touched so many lives with his special soul. Especially mine. I've always had trouble making truly good friends. Once I think I make them, they always seem to go for one reason or another. But not my Littles. He was the calmest, silliest, most trustworthy horse I've ever known, and he was one of the most constant things in my life. No matter what, he was always there, and it's just so hard to know that he can't be anymore. Littles was one of the best, most accepting, understanding friends that I could ever ask for and I'll miss him more than I can find the words to say.

Wherever you are, Littles, I hope you're free. I hope you have space to run, and laze about, and eat to your heart's content. Just know that you were and are loved more than I can express. Thank you for all you did and were while you were here. 

I could never, never forget you. And I never will.

I love you, Littles.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Victoria, I am so very sorry. I know how hard it is to loose such a friend that is so close to your heart. I am sure that he loved you and every moment of his time with you and that he is in a better place.

    My thoughts are with you,
    Lots of love, Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so, so sorry, Vic. ♥ This post was so heartfelt, however sad, and I couldn't help crying. I can relate to what you're going through right now. {hugs} I like what you said about him being free now...one of my friends said that to me when my grandma died, and I had never thought of death that way before. It helps a bit. I know Littles is happy and free now, and he's probably chilling with my dog Sammy in heaven somewhere. :)

    I love you, Vic. I'm here for you! ♥

    xo
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww... I am so sorry for your loss of a truly amazing friend.. Cherish all your moments with him, he surely is at peace

    Love
    Sehar

    http://sbique.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about what happened </3
    These are great photos. He looked like a great friend!

    ReplyDelete